Author Archives: Staff

Judge to rule on tossing suit against Smollett in October

Published at FOX 32 Chicago on August 20, 2019

A federal judge hearing the city of Chicago’s lawsuit against Jussie Smollett says she’ll rule on the actor’s request to toss the suit in October. 

The 10-minute status hearing Tuesday was the first since the civil case was moved to federal court from state court. The former “Empire” actor didn’t attend the hearing in Chicago.

The defense motion to dismiss earlier this month calls the bid to recoup costs a “perverse tactic” since charges were dismissed. They maintain the attack was real.

Read the full story at FOX 32 Chicago >>

Court case between Phantoml0rd and Twitch begins

Published at Dot eSports on August 15, 2019

Phantoml0rd is seeking financial compensation because of his Twitch ban.

More than three years after James “Phantoml0rd” Varga was banned from Twitch for misleading viewers over skin gambling, the former streaming star is finally having his day in court. Varga is suing Twitch over his ban, which he says was a breach of contract that caused severe financial damage and misrepresented his character. The trial began this week in San Francisco.

The popular former streamer had his Twitch channel deleted following a controversy surrounding skin gambling in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. In official documents filed to the court, Varga claims that Twitch gave no explanation for the ban.

Read more at Dot eSports >

Sneed: The Smollett wallet …

Published at Chicago Sun-Times, August 6, 2019

Actor Jussie Smollett’s new Chicago lawyer, William J. Quinlan, who just filed a motion moving the actor’s Chicago lawsuit to federal court involving police investigation fees for an alleged hate crime, tells Sneed his legal fees will help in his effort to do pro bono (unsalaried) work for a Chicago friend.

It involves the controversial case of Dr. Michael Beyer, a well respected Ogden International School principal accused by the Board of Education’s inspector general of falsifying attendance records. Beyer was subsequently removed —but not yet terminated — by the Chicago Public Schools.

“Beyer, whose suspension has been vehemently protested by parents and the local school council, is suing the district for due process violations and is awaiting an arbitration hearing,” said Quinlan, who feels the controversy actually revolves around children of diplomats attending the school who need to travel with their parents.

“My son went to Ogden, where Dr. Beyer was a terrific principal,” claims Quinlan, who has represented celebs Nicky Hilton, heiress to the Hilton Hotel fortune; George Maloof, former owner of the Sacramento Kings NBA team—whose sister Adrienne Maloof is a former star of the reality series “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills”; and Alejandra Nash,during her divorce from former Phoenix Suns hoopster Steve Nash.

“Look, the Smollett case belongs in federal court because the financial dispute is more than $75,000 and Smollett lives in California — not Chicago,” added Quinlan, who said the case was assigned to federal Judge Virginia Kendall.

“One of the reasons to take high-profile celeb cases like Smollett is because it gives lawyers the opportunity to do pro-bono work,” he said. “And I feel Dr. Beyer’s case falls into that category.”

Read the full article at Chicago Sun-Times »

Attorneys file motion to dismiss Chicago’s $130K lawsuit against Jussie Smollett

Published at FOX 32 Chicago, August 6, 2019

CHICAGO (Fox 32 News) – Attorneys for Jussie Smollett have filed a motion to dismiss Chicago’s lawsuit against him in which the city demands $130,000 to cover the cost of the investigation into his report of a street attack that police say was staged to promote his career.

A March letter from the city’s legal department to Smollett and his attorneys said that figure covers overtime worked by more than two dozen detectives and officers who spent weeks looking into Smollett’s claim, including reviewing video and physical evidence and conducting interviews.

Read the full article at FOX 32 Chicago »

Jussie Smollett Wants City of Chicago’s Lawsuit Dismissed

Published at TMZ, August 6, 2019

JUSSIE SMOLLETT: Even IF I Lied … CITY OF CHICAGO’S LAWSUIT IS BOGUS!!!

Jussie Smollett says the City of Chicago is simply trying to exact a pound of flesh from him after his criminal case was dismissed — a move he calls unprecedented and unfair.

Jussie filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit Chi-Town filed against him to recoup the cost of the investigation into the alleged racist and homophobic attack. In the docs, Jussie says the City has no business suing him because even IF you assume he did lie about the attack — although he’s not admitting that — there’s no way he could have foreseen the enormous amount of money Chicago PD spent on the case.

Jussie also says the city’s argument that he’s responsible for the investigation costs falls flat because Chicago hasn’t shown “a direct link between [Jussie’s] statements and the costs the City incurred.”

Read the full article at TMZ »

Jussie Smollett Files Motion To Toss Out Chicago’s $130,000 Lawsuit Against Him

Published at the Daily Caller, August 6, 2019

Disgraced actor Jussie Smollett is demanding that the city of Chicago dismiss its $130,000 lawsuit against him for wasted time and resources.

Smollett maintained his innocence and referenced the criminal charges against him being dropped as reason to dismiss the lawsuit, according to a report published Tuesday by The Blast. The “Empire” actor claimed his story never changed from the beginning.

He claimed the lawsuit “appears to be an unprecedented effort to seek penalties and resources expended in connection with allegedly false statements made to the police where the related criminal case concerning the statements was dismissed nolle pros on all counts.”

The actor also argued that the city did not give sufficient evidence to back up its claim that the allegedly false police report resulted in the amount of overtime stated.

“Both claims fail to state sufficient factual allegations to support a reasonable inference that Defendant’s allegedly false statements caused the CPD 1,836 overtime hours and the City paying $130,106.15 in overtime pay,” Smollett wrote in his motion to dismiss.

Read the full article at the Daily Caller »

Jussie Smollett Begs Judge To Toss Out Chicago’s $130,000 Lawsuit Against Him

Published at Radar Online, August 6, 2019

Jussie Smollett filed a motion Tuesday demanding the city of Chicago dismiss its $130,000 lawsuit against him, according to court documents obtained by RadarOnline.com.

The disgraced Empire star, who claims he’s innocent, referenced the criminal charges against him being dropped as reason to dismiss the lawsuit.

“[The lawsuit] appears to be an unprecedented effort to seek penalties and resources expended in connection with allegedly false statements made to the police where the related criminal case concerning the statements was dismissed nolle pros on all counts.”

Smollett is now arguing the city does not have enough evidence to prove the allegedly false police report resulted in the amount of overtime stated.

He wrote in his motion to dismiss: “Both claims fail to state sufficient factual allegations to support a reasonable inference that Defendant’s allegedly false statements caused the CPD 1,836 overtime hours and the City paying $130,106.15 in overtime pay.”

Read the full article at Radar Online »

Jussie Smollett lawyers say city lawsuit seeking payback is ‘perverse tactic’

Published in the Chicago Sun Times, August 6, 2019

Lawyers for Jussie Smollett asked a federal judge Tuesday to dismiss a lawsuit demanding the “Empire” actor pay back more than $130,000 city officials say was spent on the investigation into the alleged hoax crime.

The city of Chicago’s lawsuit was filed under former Mayor Rahm Emanuel, weeks after the Cook County state’s attorney’s office made the controversial decision to dismiss disorderly conduct charges against Smollett for allegedly faking an attack near his Streeterville home in January.

In a motion filed Tuesday, Smollett’s lawyers described the city’s lawsuit as a “perverse tactic,” stressing that Smollett has never admitted any wrongdoing and the prosecutors’ dismissal of the case.

The city’s lawsuit seeks to recover $130,106.15 for the cost of the investigation and the 1,836 hours of manpower expended during the weeks-long investigation that identified two acquaintances of Smollett’s — brothers Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo — who told police they’d been paid to stage the attack.

In the filings, Smollett’s lawyers said the city’s attempt to collect money was “unprecedented.” The city cited the case of an Iowa doctor who claimed to have been mugged on the Riverwalk in 2010, but Smollett’s lawyers noted that the physician had pleaded guilty to making a false report before paying back more than $15,000.

Read the full article at the Chicago Sun Times »

How to get rid of a CPS principal

Excerpt from the Chicago Reader, April 25, 2019

Five months since CPS removed Dr. Michael Beyer, the principal of Ogden International School, from his position, he’s still getting paid but can’t return to work.

As the Reader reported in November, CPS justified Beyer’s removal with the findings of an Office of Inspector General investigation that concluded in June 2018. The heavily redacted OIG report, which was released to the public, cited “75 instances” over the course of three school years “where students were temporarily unenrolled and re-enrolled within the same school year,” or coded as transfers during prolonged absences. The OIG claimed that Beyer knew about and directed these falsifications. Though the OIG admitted they were “unable to determine” how these improper codings impacted the school’s attendance rate, the report nevertheless stated that “the OIG believes that Ogden perpetuated this unenrollment and transfer practice to manipulate the attendance numbers and protect Ogden’s SQRP.” (The School Quality Rating Policy judges and ranks schools by several factors, including attendance rates.) Since November, Beyer has also faced new allegations of mishandling student data.

*** This is an excerpt – see full story at the Chicago Reader ***

Beyer’s lawyers didn’t hear from the district again until January 24, when CPS issued never-before-seen rules for the pre- suspension hearing process and announced they were reopening a pre-suspension hearing on both the attendance fraud and the new data breach charges. The hearing rules said, among other things, that neither CPS nor the employee facing suspension may force the other side to present evidence or witnesses and that CPS’s ultimate suspension decision couldn’t be appealed. Beyer’s new pre­-suspension hearing was scheduled for January 31.


“After you tried a case and you’re about to lose you can’t go back and change the rules to try to win,” said William J. Quinlan, a lead attorney at The Quinlan Law Firm, which is representing Beyer. He said the newfangled pre-suspension hearing rules appeared to preempt their defense maneuvering. “It shows the zeal with which they want to fire Michael.”

On January 31 the CPS hearing officer didn’t allow Beyer’s lawyers to call any witnesses to defend him on either the record falsification or the data breach charges. A week later CPS decided to suspend Beyer without pay. If not for the Cook County judge’s injunction on all of their pre-suspension hearing decisions, he would have been. The judge is expected to rule on whether the suspension can go into effect at the end of April. Planning for Beyer’s termination hearing is still ongoing.

See full story at the Chicago Reader